This past September, during a recent New York Fashion Week interview for FashionBombDaily, legendary and former fashion commentator of Ebony Fashion Fair /Founder of The Ground Crew, Audrey Smaltz gave some interesting information regarding the lack of models of color in the fashion industry.
Audrey Smaltz explained it best, ‘of three hundred plus designers showing for NYFW, women of color only make up six-percent of the runway models.’ Unbelievable, six-percent, seven days of intense fashion with over three hundred designers, and only six-percent of the models represent women of color, why?
Should we address the ‘Elephant on the Runway’ or continue keeping these designers and fashion houses rich? Let’s be clear, we all know that if the ‘minority dollar’ withholds from spending, as well as supporting labels like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Fendi, Christian Louboutin, Saint Laurent and all the others the ‘minority dollar’ has made wealthy plus relevant – Their sales would plummet drastically.
Who am I kidding, I’m totally preaching to the choir, right?
With the exception of Bethann Hardison, Naomi Campbell and Audrey Smaltz campaigning for equal rights within the fashion industry for models, designers and etc., no one else is taking a stand or seems to care of this recurring issues.
As for myself, I took the pleasurable liberty of clicking through countless S/S14 shows on Style.com to look into the facts. Through my research, I came across over 50 fashion models that are women of color who were mentioned by name and plenty of new faces that remained nameless. Of the three hundred plus designers: Moncler Gamma, ZAC Zac Posen, Balmain, Burberry, Diane von Furstenberg, Duro Olowu, Dsquared2 and Philipp Plein were amongst the few who used a great number of models of color.
RowASeat1 shines light on these 50-plus fashion models, and if you’re a lover of fashion or interested in modeling, then I recommend you to Google these names.
– Jourdan Dunn – Betty Adewole – Anais Mali
– Binx Walton – Jasmine Tookes – Kyra Green
– Joan Smalls – Pauline Hoarau – Herieth Paul
– Malaika Firth – Cindy Bruna – Maddie Seisay
– Mariana Santana – Marina Nery – Leomie Anderson
– Alecia Morais – Maria Borges – Jeneil Williams
– Ysaunny Brito – Cheyenne Carty – Nykhor Paul
– Kai Newman – Veridiana Ferreira – Naomi Campbell
– Senait Gidey – Grace Mahary – Samantha Archibald
– Luma Grothe – Tsheca White – Nadja Giramata
– Liya Kebede – Ajuma Nasenyana – Roberta Narcisco
– Grace Bol – Pat Cleveland – Jaunel McKenzie
– Kayla Clarke – Alek Wek – Katrina Troncoso
– Imaan Hammam – Milly Reuter – Melodie Monrose
– Sophia Kelly – Chanel Iman – Ataui Deng
– Yasmin Warsame – Cora Emmanuel – Catherine Decome
– Lais Ribei – Fatima Siad